Frequently Asked Questions - Pregnancy

Pregnancy Services are Free & Confidential

Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions related to unplanned pregnancy in Idaho.  If you are unable to find the answers to your questions, please call us at 208-939-3865, complete this online form.  If you are a birth mother or birth father, call our 24/7 Pregnancy Hotline at 208-985-5617.

Crisis Pregnancy Hotline

Text or Call 24/7

I'm pregnant, where can I get help?

You are not alone.  Use A New Beginning’s Pregnancy Hotline to speak to a compassionate professional who will walk you through your options.   Whether you choose to parent or make an adoption plan, we will help you find the resources you need to keep you and your baby healthy.    Crisis Pregnancy Hotline is 208-985-5617.

When do I have to make an adoption plan?

It’s important to look at all of your options.   An adoption plan can be made anytime during your pregnancy or after delivery.  If you are considering adoption, we encourage you to begin working with an adoption specialist immediately so you can get all the information and support your need.

I want the birth father involved in the process, is that okay?

Absolutely. We encourage both parents to be involved in making a choice for their baby. If the birth father is involved, then we will work with both of you. In such cases, the birth father is typically involved with the selection of adoptive parents, helping through the pregnancy and available at the time of the child’s birth.

What if the birth father doesn't cooperate and refuses to agree to adoption?

In Idaho, generally this isn’t a problem provided you are not married to the birth father. Idaho law provides under § 16-1501A, that, “An unmarried mother, faced with the responsibility of making crucial decisions about the future of a newborn child, is entitled to privacy, and has the right to make timely and appropriate decisions regarding her future and the future of the child, and is entitled to assurance regarding the permanence of an adoptive placement.” The vast majority of unmarried birth fathers fail to legally protect their rights. As a result, their consent is typically not needed and their rights are terminated as “non-confirmed”.

What if I change my mind about the adoption and want to keep my baby?

Of course, the adoptive parents will be disappointed, but it’s important to ensure you are doing what you believe is best for you and your baby. In Idaho, until you voluntarily consent to have your rights terminated before a judge, you can change your mind at any time.

When is it too late to change my mind?

After you go to court and acknowledge you are freely and voluntarily agreeing to terminate your parental rights in order to complete an adoption and you sign a document before an Idaho judge.  After you sign the termination document, your rights are irrevocable. Many other states have a time period to revoke your consent, but in Idaho, the legislature has chosen to require a formal process in front of a judge rather than have a revocation period.

When is the adoption final?

In Idaho, shortly after the child is born, the birth mother (and birth father, if he is involved) must appear before a judge to agree to terminate parental rights. Following this court appearance, the adoptive couple file for the final adoption in their home state.  Before the finalization can occur, an adoption specialists will make at least two visits to the home of the adoptive family to verify the transition is healthy.

How do I know the parents I will choose are the right parents?

We are consistently working with adoptive parents and other agencies and maintain detailed profiles (online and printed) of potential adoptive parents.  Each of their profiles provide lots of detailed information regarding their background, including ages, ethnic background, religious affiliation if any, photographs and their philosophy on child rearing and why they selected adoption as a way to grow their family. The parents are thoroughly evaluated and interviewed, have criminal background checks, home studies are performed to ensure their readiness as parents and at least 12 hours of face to face specialty parenting training.   Birth families are welcome to (but not required) to meet with selected adoptive families and A New Beginning will facilitate the meeting.  Every birth mother has her own way of handling the adoption process. We will help you decide on how best to meet and choose the right parents for your baby.

Can I get financial assistance during the pregnancy?

There is no limit on the adoptive parents paying for medical expenses and attorneys fees and costs. We will help you prepare a budget to ensure you can get through the process with adequate resources. If we need to ask the judge for monies to assist with your living expenses we will be your advocate. 

Yes.  In Idaho assistance is limited to “reasonable maternity and living expenses during the pregnancy and for a period not to exceed six (6) weeks post partum based upon demonstrated financial need.”  In order to obtain financial assistance for reasonable maternity and living expenses (exceeding $2,000) our attorney would submit a financial plan outlining proposed expenditures to court. The court may approve or change the financial proposal. 

What if I want an open adoption?

There are many variations of open adoptions ranging from ongoing relationships to more limited contact or communication.   It’s your adoption plan, so if you decide you want to explore open adoption, we’ll help you select profiles of adoptive families who are considering open adoption.  A New Beginning will assist in mediating the relationship/openness agreement between the birth family and the adoptive family for as long as needed.  Once you terminate your rights, even if you are promised open communication and contact, you will have no legal recourse to enforce such communication and contact. This is why the selection process is so important.

Can I find my child when she becomes an adult or can she find me?

Yes, Idaho maintains what is known as the Idaho Voluntary Register which provides contact information about all persons connected with the adoption. As long as each party consents to have their information available, contact can be made once the child grows up.

Idaho Unplanned Pregnancy